Thursday, September 6, 2007

Massing with Glass

I have added a glass dominant envelope to the earlier massing to see what it would look like. (I think it looks a little like some kind of a bug from this view from the corner by the library)



This view is through the diagonal passage arising from the question in the circulation studies "if the building were not there" This seems to be the most significant design element which came about as a direct result of thinking about circulation.


Where this view is from sidewalk level approaching from the East on Boylston Street. This shows how the building engages the sidewalk area and announces itself from to people even on this approach.
I am still struggling with trying to incorporate some Le Corbusier principles into this project. I think that the influence which Frank Lloyd Wright has on me is so strong that it may be interfering with that process. However, I found a wonderful book today which may help me to better appreciate Le Corbusier. It is titled "Frank Lloyd Wright and Le Corbusier - The Great Dialog" by Thomas Doremus. Mr. Doremus contends that the two master's works while very different, are the results of many shared principles. For instance, he compares, and finds many similarities in, Fallingwater and Villa Savoie. Ted, were you making that same connection when you encouraged me to explore "Corb" and his Carpenter Center? Perhaps if I work to incorporate Wright's principles, I will be incorporating Le Corbusier's as well? I need to focus some energy on Theory Class now, perhaps that work will "cross-pollinate" into this project.

1 comment:

Gus G.-Angulo said...

Rick,
Boy you are Smoking man!!!! I will have to catch up with you!
I really like the new approach you are having to your project, and I think that the modeling in 3 d has given you other tools to work with.
I really like the side view ( I think is the side facing the church… ) it definitely a glass building, but you manage (thru the structure) to give a distinctive style (not just a glass box!) .
Gus “el guapo”